Curb Appeal without breaking the bank
The front exterior of your home is your chance to influence the tone of potential buyers. There are quick, economical and easy ways to do this. Here are 10 ideas to get you started.
1) The front door. Give your front door a fresh coat of paint in one of the latest colours. Update the door hardware with a new handle and maybe add an accessory like a decorative door knocker.
2) The walk up. Make sure your walkway is nice and clean and add some new solar lights to each side of the walk. The effect of the nice warm glow created by the lighting will enhance the appearance of your home for any potential buyers passing by during the late afternoon and evening hours.
3) The driveway. If you have a paved driveway add a fresh coat of driveway sealer. Before rolling on your sealant fill in any small cracks (with driveway caulking) that may have developed over time. Grass and weeds coming up in a driveway is unappealing and doesn’t take much effort or money to fix.
4) Gardens. If it’s a time of year for gardens add some annuals in key locations. Also pay attention to your lawn. Whether is be regular watering, cutting, weeding or seeding thin spots these are all things that help your curb appeal.
5) Lighting. If your home has hardwired exterior lighting consider updating the fixtures with the latest trends in lighting design.
6) Windows. Make sure your front windows and sills look good. Do they need painting? If your windows are vinyl check to see the condition of the caulking? And any curtains or blinds should have a neat appearance from the outside.
7) General Exterior. If your home is brick are there spots that could use some repointing of the mortar? If the exterior is vinyl would the surface benefit from a pressure wash? Are your eaves and down spouts in good condition and in good working order? Make sure your down spouts are draining a minimum of 2 feet from the building. Inspect your soffits to make sure they are in good condition.
8) At the entrance. Add a new cheery doormat or a wreath. A couple of planters on either side of the front door also does wonders in terms of making people feel welcome. Would your mailbox benefit from a coat of paint or an upgrade? Does your door bell work?
9) Porch. If you have a front porch with a seating area add some new patio chairs and table. Decorate the table with some potted flowers.
10) De- clutter. If you have garbage pails or recycling bins within view of the street put them out of sight. The same applies to brooms, shovels, rakes etc. You want a buyers eyes to be draw to areas that re enforce the benefits of your home.